February 13, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

2012 – 2.5/5

I want to say that the acting made this movie, and secondly, the script. I did like the acting, but I have a few gripes that I feel the need to mention:

First things first though, I had no issues with Bradley Cooper as Pat. If anything, his acting was flawless. I enjoyed watching him on screen. He played the role very well and he was very convincing.

I will say that I think Jennifer Lawrence did a good job with her role, however, with that being said, I can’t help but feel another actress would have done a better job as Tiffany. I think the character was great, but Lawrence didn’t really fit the part perfectly. It’s as if she fit 3 out of 4 sides of a puzzle piece.

I have always considered myself a DeNiro fan. And I still do. I think it’s fair to say that within the last few years, this movie was his best. That’s not to say that his talent was used to max, but he was fine as Pat Sr. The only reason I bring up this gripe is because I know he could have been great. I guess what I’m trying to say is that his talent wasn’t used to the fullest in this movie

Chris Tucker was great. He fit into the movie really well in small doses. I know I wouldn’t have liked him in it much if he had a bigger role.

As for the movie itself, it was very predictable at every point. Nothing caught me off guard. I was a little disappointed about that, but then again, it was a rom-com. I didn’t really like any of the characters (except maybe Tucker). Even the message it was trying to get across (to find the silver lining – a happy balance in life) wasn’t that well executed. It was a ‘so what’ movie in my books.

On one hand, I understand why this movie is getting all this hype. But on the other hand, I can see why people disliked this movie (because there are several little things that allow you to pick the movie apart). I will say that it was good for a one time viewing, but I don’t care to watch this movie again.

In some ways this movie reminds of Little Miss Sunshine. Not because of the plot, but the subject matter: dysfunctional people or families. I can’t help but draw the connection to one another, but they’re such different movies. Like LMS, I feel as if SLP could have been recommended by an Abnormal Psychology professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment