June 9, 2015

Spy

2015 - 3/5

I don’t think I’ll be able to truly tell you what I think of this movie; it’s kind of hard to put into words. As you may have expected, this will be an “all things Melissa McCarthy” movie. I’m fine with that because I do like her.

This movie did have a lot of funny moments, and that’s great; but at the same time, because it moves from one funny scene to the next, it doesn’t perfectly fit together. There was a LOT of banter in this movie with Susan (McCarthy) and the other characters. Some of it long, most of it funny. When the banter went on and on, it veered away from the plotline. This happened often enough to make it seem as if this movie was longer than it really was. There were some parts that could have been left out (the vermin situation in “the basement” and 50 Cent) entirely.

The casting choices worked very well. McCarthy had good chemistry with the other characters (Bradley Fine, Rick Ford, Rayna Boyanov). Jude Law, Jason Stathom and Rose Bryne played their roles very well too.

It had a good soundtrack that was paired well with the scenes.

I’m glad that they kept it at the R rating. I felt that if they scaled it back to PG13, it wouldn’t have been as funny because a lot of the dialogue and a few scenes would have been cut out. I didn’t like how it had a James Bond 007 feel to it. I don’t think that was necessary to mirror that in some ways because it would have been better if it wasn’t using that as a step-stone.


No comments:

Post a Comment