November 23, 2015

The Place Beyond the Pines

2012 - 3/5

Okay, so this review is going to have spoilers, so if you haven’t seen it in the last 3 years, my suggestion to you is, watch it. As for the rest of you who have seen this movie, read on.

I’ve been meaning to watch this since it came out, mainly because I really like Ryan Gosling. His role in this movie seems similar to this role Drive (2011). We all know that this guy has acting range. Bradley Cooper seemed to be a good fit as well. I figured the weak link would be Eva Mendez, but she held her own; not saying it was Oscar worthy, but it worked.

When Luke (Gosling) died 50 minutes in, I actually checked how much time is left in the movie. His story was really interesting. He was the main character and I was blindsided that he was killed. Enter Avery (Bradley Cooper). At this point, the movie picks up on his life. I wasn’t expecting that to happen; ie, Luke actually dying, mainly because the impression I got from the trailer is that Avery (over several years) is trying to catch Luke… little did I know! Then eventually, the 3rd main character is Jason, Luke’s son! Although the movie did emphasize that Luke and Avery’s son’s were the same age, it didn’t even pop into my mind that Jason, Luke’s son obviously still lived in the same area of Avery and A.J.

The movie has 3 main characters, and it’s just amazing how they made it work. It was incredibly interesting that this is how the plot went because when you think about it, this could have not worked at all. But my goodness, it did! This made me like the movie even more because the trailer didn’t give anything away. In essence, it made you think it was going in one direction, but it took a turn you weren’t expecting… in a good way.

Side note (irrelevant to my review), but now I see the look/attitude Justin Beiber was going for when he started to become a shitty person. He had to have watched this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment