February 10, 2016

Zoolander 2

2016 - 2.7/5

I went into this movie not having seen a single trailer. How I managed to pull that off, I have no idea. I didn’t do it on purpose, I just never saw the trailer. That’s not to say that I haven’t seen pictures, but I had no idea what the movie was actually going to be about.

From my perspective, if you enjoyed the first one, you’ll like this one too (keep in mind I saw it for free, so whether or not I would have felt any differently if I had paid for it, I don’t know). It has the exact same type of humour, but the first one stuck to what it was, whereas this one kind of moves away from full on parodying the modeling world. At one point it reminded me of The Da Vinci Code, and it was just unoriginal.

I do recall that Justin Bieber was going to have a cameo in this movie. SPOILER ALERT (for the next sentence): his death was done in a dumb way, but I will admit that I loved that not only did he take a selfie, he went through the filters before he shared it. I actually thought that was funny.

As for the rest of the cameos, I can’t say I cared for them; they each had their bit, some of them funny, some not and the movie went on.

Going in, I had seen that Kristen Wiig was in this movie, but I did not recognize her until I saw her name in the credits; then it hit me. I didn’t care for Penélope Cruz, I think anyone could have played the role of Valentina.

My friend said that the first half was better than the second half and I do agree. The first half of the majority of comedies are far more funny, then the plot actually starts to creep in and the comedy starts to take a hit. There were a few parts in which the build up seemed like it had potential, then it kind of just fizzled out – it wasn’t developed as it could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment