November 29, 2016

Bad Santa 2

2016 - 2.6/5

If you saw the first and liked the first one, this one follows suit. When the first one came out, I absolutely loved it. Personally I thought it was done pretty dam well, but what made me like it more was that someone finally decided to make a Christmas movie for adults… without all the sappy shit. Willy was and still is an offensive, foul mouthed alcoholic.

Fast forward 13 years and they’ve decided there should be a sequel. The plot wasn’t as bad as it could have been. It was well thought out. The main downfall I would say were the characters (mainly the people running the charity and the creeper security guard. Otherwise, Wille and Marcus haven’t skipped a beat, and Kathy Bates as Willies mom fit very well into that roll. The script was the same as you’d expect from the first one. It had a lot of funny one-liners that worked very well in the moment, but I found that none were super-laugh-out-loud-funny. And OH. MY. GOD. did I ever LOVE Therman Murman. Throughout the entire movie, I kept thinking it had to be the exact same kid they had 13 years ago, and lo and behold, IT IS! I loved this kid. I have no idea why, but I don’t remember loving him this much in the first movie. There’s something about this kid that just brought a smile to my face every time I saw him on screen.

Some random points I want to mention:
-Willie’s mom calling him “Shit-stick” got old really fast. They should have thought of something else.
-I really enjoyed the soundtrack.

Overall, if you take this movie for what it is supposed to be, I think you’ll enjoy it.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Thought I’d add some of my favourite lines:

Thurman Merman: I'm 21, officially a man.
Willie: You're 21 already? That's creepy.
Thurman Merman: Are you still gonna pop my cherry?
Willie: What? Fuck, no! I said I'd get it done, by somebody else.

Willie: Spare some change. Think about somebody besides your fucking self.

Willie: I trust her about as far as I can throw you... And I trust you about as far as I can throw her.

Female security guard: Okay, yes, it is because of your height.

Sunny: I don’t speak politically correct, so if you have a problem with that, take it up with the Lollipop Guild.

Therman: I know you’re not THE Santa but you’re still MY Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment