September 21, 2010

House of Wax

 (2005) - 4/5

***SPOILER ALERT***

I liked the pace of this movie and although the movie did start off a bit slow (and it took 45 minutes for things to really get started but that time wasn't completely wasted) it was used for character development, and I came to like most of the characters (the characters were pretty likeable). There were moments of suspense in those 45 minutes that also kept my attention. I really don't think that this deserved such an average rating on IMDB (and I don't think Paris Hilton was THAT bad, but more on that later!).

Plot: B+
I know this is a remake (and I haven't seen the 1953 version), but the plot was good. I remember a lot of people commenting on how the brothers got so much wax, but who cares! There are so many unbelievable effects in movies, so let it go.

Script: B
The script was okay, pretty much exactly what you think it'll be.

Acting: B+ / A-
I do think that Elisha Cuthbert is underrated: she is a dynamic actress and she can play different roles very well. She definitely suited the role as Carly. Chad Michael Murray (as Nick) fit his role really well as a 'bad ass' and Cuthbert and Murray were a good pair (they actually seem believable as siblings). Their performances stood out the most for me.
Jared Padalecki (as Wade) and Brian Van Holt (as the brothers Bo and Vincent) did a pretty good too. Dalton (Jon Abrahams) did get a bit annoying and I think that if the director had taken a bit more time with this character, it could have turned out to be a good one (his dumbass qualities were a bit much). Robert Ri'chard (as Blake) didn't have a huge role or anything so his character didn't have much to add to the movie other than a quick kill.
As for Paris Hilton... don't expect her to be anything else than what/who she already is (some people like it or don't mind it, some hate it). There were a few parts in the movie that poked fun at Paris (the lipstick part and the night vision part), and I thought that was funny. Her chase scene was pretty tense and her scream was convincing; and of course she had to die in a scantily clad outfit! Don't expect an Oscar winning performance; I don't think this was her best performance or anything, but she did what she needed to do, and I think she did it well. (Side note: just for the record, it's unfortunate to say that her role in Repo! The Genetic Opera was, and probably will always be, her best role ever. Seriously - check that out).

Cinematography: B+
Pretty good - the house of wax melting at the end was done really well!
The director didn't add an excess amount of blood just because he could, so the gory parts seemed realistic.

Soundtrack: n/a
Nothing memorable, but I did think that the music went with the scenes it was paired with.

Overall: A- / B+
There were a lot of good scares. I thought this movie was extremely suspenseful and I got the shivers so many times throughout the movie.
I thought this movie had a lot of creative aspects:
The part in which Carly's finger got cut off was so intense and I had lumps in my throat. 
Wade getting waxed alive was unexpected.
When Dalton was trying to take the wax off Wade and the skin started to peel off Wade's face made me cringe. 
Carly's lips being super glued together made me reach for my chapstick! 
I found myself gripping onto my seat during the part they entered the movie theatre - I was even holding my breath.
This movie drew me in and freaked me out; so what else was it supposed to do? I'd say mission accomplished!


A few comments that I had read on IMDB and thought it was worth mentioning:
(1) 'For a movie that has Paris Hilton and Elisha Cuthbert, you'd think that there would be some nudity!'
(2) 'Someone wrote that they had expected Paris Hilton to touch wax and say "that's hot" (haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment