March 7, 2011

Persepolis

2007 - 4.3/5

Plot: A
An autobiographical movie of Marjane Satrapi’s life growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

Script: B
The screenplay was adapted from the book of the same name: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I didn’t think the dialogue was outstanding, but I enjoyed it.
Here are some quotes I like:

Marjane: I remember I led a peaceful, uneventful life as a little girl. I loved fries with ketchup, Bruce Lee was my hero, I wore Adidas sneakers and had two obsessions: Shaving my legs one day and being the last prophet of the galaxy

Hustler: Jicheal Mackson.

Marjane: Bullshit! Life isn't absurd! Some people give their lives for freedom. You think my uncle died for fun? Egotistical prick.

Mr. Satrapi: Never forget who you are and where you’re from.

Marjane: It’s the eye of the tiger, it’s the *trill* of the fight.

Animation: A
The artwork was based on the graphic novel; I thought it was simple and original. The majority of the time (99%) it was in black and white.

Overall: A-
Aside from the butchering of Iranian names, I thought it was an accurate portrayal of *her life* in (and outside of) Iran in the 1970s and 1980s.

The movie was pretty much right out of the book, but a little less detailed.

My only dislike about the movie was that it should have been in Farsi with English subtitles rather than French with English subtitles (…at least an option for it).

Speaking of subtitles… I’ve seen the movie both in French w.e.s. and English w.e.s. – I would prefer to watch it in French only because I didn’t think the English subtitles were as well done as French.

If you don’t get a chance to see the movie, defiantly read the graphic novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment