March 10, 2011

The Social Network

2010 - 2.8/5

I just realized that this is the third movie in a row that I’ve seen that has been based on a true story!

The only reason I saw this movie was because I’ve heard several good things about it, and because it had a few Oscar nominations; otherwise, I never really cared for the Facebook story.

Plot: B-
I didn’t find it overly engaging; it seemed as if the heart thumping music/score was added only to make it seems more suspenseful than it really was. This movie is based on the book/true story of Mark Zuckerberg and how Facebook came to be.

I liked how the story was in past tense being explained through the 2 lawsuits against MZ; it had a good flow between past and present; it moved at a good pace, but some parts did seems to drag a bit.

Script: B+
Had witty dialogue and it was very quick paced (must have been 100 words a minute!). I do think it deserved the Writing (Adapted Screenplay) Academy Award.

My favourite conversation: ***SPOILER ALERT***

Gage: Mr. Zuckerberg, do I have your full attention?
Mark Zuckerberg: [stares out the window] No.
Gage: Do you think I deserve it?
Mark Zuckerberg: [looks at Gage] What?
Gage: Do you think I deserve your full attention?
Mark Zuckerberg: I had to swear an oath before we began this deposition, and I don't want to perjure myself, so I have a legal obligation to say no.
Gage: Okay - no. You don't think I deserve your attention.
Mark Zuckerberg: I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try - but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing.
[pauses]
Mark Zuckerberg: Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

Acting: B+
Jesse Eisenberg: it was a serious role and he did a good job. There was a LOT of dialogue and he was spot on (who knows how many takes it really took!).

Andrew Garfield: I think I liked this character (Eduardo Saverin) the most, and I thought AG was a great supporting actor! This role seemed natural to him – it didn’t seem as if he was acting.

Justin Timberlake: I thought he would be the weakest link, but he actually did a good job, defiantly better than his role in Alpha Dog (2007)! His character appeared half way into the movie, and I wasn’t too sure what to expect from JT, but I think he pulled it off.

Overall: B
I think it was well directed and it was put together very well. It did have bad lighting at times, but that never took away from what was on screen.

As much as I want to say that I would have enjoyed a documentary with the actual people involved being interviewed, I think the movie did a good job presenting the story, but it did seem as if the story had been fabricated.

No comments:

Post a Comment