May 13, 2011

Kick Ass

2010 – 3/5

Plot: C+
This movie had a pretty unique and entertaining storyline: Teen wants to be a superhero, but he has no super powers. I read a review on IMDB that said that this movie was a mash-up of Batman, Léon, Matrix, Kill Bill and Sin City; I defiantly agree, but I would also add that it was a high school-teenage version of it (it reminded me of Shoot ‘Em Up).
Not sure why a ‘love story’ was added. It was VERY cliché; it seemed unnecessary and didn’t really add anything to the movie (*SPOILER ALERT* especially the part about Dave being gay).

Script: C
It had some good one-liners, but nothing that really went beyond that. Most of the ‘comedy’ that came from Hit Girl and Big Daddy was super cheesy, so I wasn’t really a fan of their dialogue.
Some of the lines I liked were:
“Like most people my age, I just existed”
“The only epiphany I had was that life just goes on”
“I was back and running Kick Ass Version 2.0”

Acting: B-
Pretty good acting from Aaron Johnson as Kick-Ass. He probably got the part because neither Michael Cera or Jesse Eisenberg wanted it.
I was weary about Nick Cage’s performance because he hasn’t really done anything that great for a while. His character was an odd one to begin with, but he did do a good job. I think the girl who played Hit Girl did an okay job, but the character itself was over done.
I’m a fan of Christopher Mintz-Plasse, so I’m bias when I say that he did a great job. I didn’t really like the acting of the mafia characters.

Costumes: B
I liked the costumes. I wasn’t a huge fan of Big Daddy’s costume (too Batman-like for my taste). The other 2 costumes (Kick Ass and Red Mist) were also pretty cool looking. I didn’t really care for Hit Girl’s costume.

Overall: C+ 
The plot was ok, and the screenplay (albeit cheesy at times) fit the characters. The violence was way over the top, especially when it was regarding Hit Girl. I liked the movie, but the ending was a bit off (*SPOILER ALERT*: the torture scene).

No comments:

Post a Comment