December 10, 2011

Stranger Than Fiction

2006 - 4/5

I recently saw the short video The Landlord, so I felt like watching a Will Ferrell movie. This movie then reminded me about the painting The Son of Man, so I’ll probably blog about that soon!

I didn’t know what to expect going into this movie other than knowing it wasn’t going to be anything like Will Ferrell’s usual movies. I was okay with that because I don’t really find his particular type of comedy that funny or entertaining, but I did know I wanted to see it. I remember seeing this movie with my cousin at Tinseltown cinema. I also remember calling in sick to work to do so. It was worth it.

I want to start this review by saying that the only things in life that are certain are, Death and Taxes.

Two minutes in and the reference to my favourite painting had been made – The Son of Man (1964) by RenĂ© Magritte. I think that it was pretty clever to play it into the movie and I feel that it added more behind the scenes meaning. I also wanted to mention that during one part of the movie in which Harold was sitting on a couch, it seemed as if the clouds that were painted on the wall behind him were moving; anybody else catch that?

I do understand why some people do not like this movie. I feel as if people may not have liked this movie because it wasn’t the typical Ferrell movie or they didn’t catch the reference to the painting. But to be fair, I can’t assume that everyone knows what The Son of Man is, but like I said earlier, knowing about the painting helped me recognize and appreciate the symbolism.

Some of the lines I liked:

Harold: No it’s not schizophrenia. It’s a voice in my head.

Professor JH: The only way to find out what story you’re in is to determine what stories you’re not in.

Harold: Thank you for forcing me to eat them.

Harold: I’m married to her brother. Not in this state, the one over.

My absolute favourite line had to be:
Harold: I brought you flours.

It started off quickly and everything meshed together seamlessly. It was a pretty level movie in the sense that there were really no high highs or low lows. Lets face it; obviously I’m going to like a movie whose main character has OCD. And how awesome is it that the picture on the DVD disc is a green apple? LOVES IT!

Overall, the plot was good, the script was good, the acting was really good, and the symbolism was perfectly incorporated. This movie really does deserve a solid 4 out of 5. I would highly recommend this movie – to a particular audience because it’s not a movie for everyone.

Lastly, I wanted to add something I read on IMDB that’s worth adding into my review:
Near the beginning, Ms. Eifel [narrates] "When asked by a co-worker for the product of 67 and 453, Harold drew a blank. He quickly answered 30,351 despite the answer really being 31,305." The product of 67 and 453 actually is 30,351. This was meant to get viewers to question who was dictating Harold's life. Was it the narrator or Harold himself? It wouldn't be a coincidence that the "incorrect" number given by Harold would in fact be the correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment