July 11, 2012

People Like Us

2012 – 2/5

Although I had little interest to see this movie, I knew my mom would like it because it was based on a true story. Being the youngest person in the theatre, with 5 other people (including my mom), I took my seat in the new reclining chairs and spent just under 2 hours to watch this movie.

When it comes to a movie that is ‘based on a true story’, I keep in mind that in order for this movie to be even remotely entertaining, some facts are tweaked or other aspects are added in that aren’t actually true. The reason I bring this up is because, at times, I felt as if what I was seeing on screen wasn’t true. I do believe that the basic plot is true: that Sam found out he had a sister after his father died; BUT I don’t exactly buy the money issues that Sam was going through. I can’t really put my finger on it, but this was the first time I’ve ever watched a ‘based on a true story’ movie and called ‘bullshit’. I really felt as if Sam’s money issues was just there to add more drama to the movie. For all I know, it could be true, but I think its fair to say that Hollywood is known to bullshit.

All that crap (haha) aside, do I think this was a good movie? Well, it wasn’t horrible. I didn’t think it was very entertaining. I thought it was a nice story, but that’s about it. This movie was very predictable and as the movie progressed, you knew where it was going. I found myself thinking “OK, I get it. Move on” several times during this movie. Pretty much the entire movie is Sam building a relationship with half-sister Frankie and her son Josh, without having told either one that they’re related.

I can’t help but think that the director was expecting this movie to get as much praise as The Blind Side for being a heartfelt true story. I don’t see that happening mainly because this movie only has one late night showing in theatres and it’s only been in theatres for 2 weeks!

I would have to say the strongest part of this movie was the acting. There weren’t a whole lot of characters, but considering the plot, there didn’t need to be. I thought that Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks were believable as brother and sister and that they each did a great job with their roles; Banks more than Pine. I really didn’t like Frankie’s (Banks) son Josh. The kid annoyed me every time he was on screen. But at the same time I think he did a spot on impression of kids these days: rude brats. Michelle Pfeiffer did a good job with her character, but she didn’t have a huge role.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mom’s review:
-It was a really good movie.
-Sam was trying to make a meaningful connection with his half-sister and nephew.
-Sam really tried to help Frankie with her issues.
-The communication between Sam and Frankie was the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment