July 14, 2012

Suicide Kings

1997 – 2.3/5

Christopher Walken being one of my favourite actors, I knew I had to eventually see this movie. This was the second time I’ve seen this movie and although I didn’t remember much from my first viewing, I knew that I liked it a lot. This time however, I thought it was good, but not as good.

I had no problems with Walken. He was solid as always. He’s a very reliable actor and he fully embraced the character. Christopher Walken as a Mob boss. I was sold!

The next best person would have had to been Denis Leary. His character Lono, reminded me of his character in the movie Judgment Night. If you liked him in this then I would recommend you see Judgment Night (if you already haven’t).

Considering there were a lot of different people involved with the kidnapping, I don’t want to get too detailed about each character. I do think each had enough screen time in the sense that the viewer got to know just enough information about each in order to keep you guessing about who might be the person on the inside. That’s not to say that I think each character was fully developed. With that being said, I also want to say that some of the personalities were a tad bit overdone; Ira for example was so annoying (but then again, the majority of Johnny Galecki’s characters are like that).

My biggest grip about the movie would have to be the lack of connection I felt with Avery, Brett, T.K., Ira, ect. It was hard to form a bond with them and care about their well-being. The characters weren’t introduced well, so it was hard to care for any of them, and I ended up rooting for Charles and Lono.

I will admit that I kept guessing the entire time about which character was the one that set it all up, and I liked that about the movie. But at the same time, when the movie ended and everything was revealed, I have to say that it didn’t have much of an impact. Basically what I’m trying to say is that it’s not a movie that will leave you thinking long after the movie is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment