December 6, 2012

Rango

2011 – 0.2/5

It started off really strong (which I wasn’t expecting), but it hit its peak very quickly (within 10 minutes), took a nose dive down, and leveled off after that. When it first started, it seemed very promising, and I guess I wasn’t expecting the storyline to turn out the way it did; it was lackluster.

I never fully understood why the turtle mayor was holding water back from his community (other than to ‘control the water, is to control the people’), but there wasn’t much substance to it. That’s all there was to the storyline and I found it to be a too thin for my liking. It wasn’t truly memorable, aside from having a plot that has been down MANY times over. For a movie that was intended to be watched by kids, I thought it had a few dark aspects that shouldn’t have been added.

As for the characters, I felt as if all of them weren’t well rounded. None of the characters were ones you feel in love with right away. I really liked Rango in the first 10 minutes before he created who he wanted the townsfolk to think he was…but once that happened, I thought “oh, it’s going to be one of those movies”. Unless I missed it, I don’t think the movie explained why the girl lizard froze every now and then; it was stupid.

I didn’t mind the voiceovers for all the characters: Johnny Depp as Rango was pretty good. I was expecting the voice to be the same voice that JD had in the Pirates movies. There were times in which his voice would go in and out of that voice.

Things I liked:
-The animation of Rango was really good. I didn’t care for the other characters/background.
-I thought the reference to Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas was cute.

This movie does not have the full package and I have to say that I am surprised that this movie won the Best Animated Feature in 2012, but then again, when you take a look at the competition it probably was the best pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment