January 5, 2013

Django Unchained

2012 – 4/5

From what I understood, this movie was considered a 'Western'. I was very slightly apprehensive watching this movie because of that label, but at the end of the day, it's a Tarantino film, which means that it's an automatic must-see. If it is the genre label holding you back from seeing this movie, let me assure you, that you will forget about what genre it’s listed under in the first 20 minutes. I personally agree with the genre that Tarantino sees fit - that being a 'southern' movie due to it taking place in the American south.

If the length of the movie is deterring you from seeing this movie, then allow me to address that. Yes, the movie is almost 3 hours long, but no, it didn’t feel like it was almost 3 hours long. There was only one point during the entire movie that I thought the movie hit the wall and it would drag the rest of the time. Thankfully I was wrong and the movie kept going at the same pace and it even got better!

A few other things that I want to point out were the settings, costumes and music. The smaller aspects of a movie, such as the setting, costumes, and music all play a role in the overall feel of the movie. The setting/scenery provided a great background and it looked good. I don’t know this for a fact, but I’m sure Tarantino doesn’t use green screens; he has sets built which make it seem genuine and realistic. That alone creates a good vibe and it draws the viewer in. Same goes with the costumes and outfits. When it comes to the music, it’s something that’s very noticeable. Tarantino paired the music with the scenes very well.

Right from the get-go, you know the script is going to be phenomenal. After the first conversation in the first scene, I was hooked. Tarantino has a very stylistic way of writing which makes it extremely unique.

Considering this movie is called Django Unchained, I believe that it is fair to assume that Django (Jamie Foxx) is the main character. How can I be wrong right? Well, I guess it’s easier said than explained – but I’ll give it a shot. The shortest way I can possibly answer that question would have to be that Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson are all in this movie as well. That’s pretty convincing isn’t it? I’ll try to break it down in the next couple of paragraphs.

So don’t get me wrong, Jamie Foxx as Djano Freeman was great. The guy played the role to the T. He walked the walk and he sure talked the talk. BUT… although his performance was great, I have to take into consideration that this movie had a powerhouse of talent. That is something that can’t be ignored.

I’m not going to save the best for last, I want it to be known right away that Christoph Waltz was my favourite actor and character in this movie BY FAR! The moment he appeared on screen, I knew he’d be my fav. His way of speaking, his gestures, his facial expressions and his mannerisms as Dr. Shultz overall were amazing! The man is brilliant. That is all.

When it comes to Leonardo DiCaprio I was very curious to see how he would fit into a Tarantino movie. I never once thought he’d be the weakest link, but DiCaprio and Scorsese go together like peanut butter and jelly, and it’s always been a perfect fit. So I was just wondering what the transition would be like when he goes from Scorsese to Tarantino. When you try to size up Scorsese and Tarantino, you quickly realize it’s impossible because both directors are in completely different fields. At the end of the day, what it comes down to, is DiCaprio himself. The guy was perfect as Calvin Candie. It was a character that I hated, but at the same time, liked. How Tarantino pulled that off is nothing short of amazing, and props to DiCaprio for playing the role so very convincingly.

Samuel L. Jackson has always been a hit-or-miss actor in my eyes and there’s not denying that. There have been movies he’s been wonderful in and others that just make me shake my head. You all know exactly what I’m talking about. SLJ in Django Unchained is a hit in the bull’s-eye! If I was able to punch one of the characters in this movie (and get away with it… and make it so my hand didn’t hurt after) I would, with no doubt or hesitation pick SLJ’s character Stephen. If there were no other people in the theatre I would have screamed at the screen. The guy was just as much a villain in this movie as Calvin Candie (DiCaprio); perhaps even worse! You know SLJ did an amazing job when I want to punch the character and scream at the screen. Enough said.

Django and Dr. Shultz (Christoph Waltz) were probably one of the best movie pairs I have ever seen. They complimented each other so well; and I mean as characters and actors. Dr. Shultz is so strong and confident, while Django starts off as meek, but then grows into a strong character.

It’s hard to comprehend how Tarantino was capable of juggling 4 incredible actors, with such strong presences, being in several scenes together. How he did it (with perfection I might add) is beyond me. I would love to hang out with Tarantino for a day and try to understand what is going on in that guys mind.

Overall, this movie had an incredible script, great characters, very talented actors, an intriguing storyline, and a great setting. It was a perfect movie that I would highly recommend to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment