April 2, 2013

The Descendants

2011 - 4/5
I actually saw this on March 20th, but because it was Disney movie month, I didn't want to post it then.

Thank you The Descendants. I now want to go to Hawaii more than ever!

I remember when this movie first came out in 2011, I had no interest in seeing it. I have never really been a George Clooney fan; got nothing against him, just that I’ve never cared. I was in a particular mood when I decided that this movie would suit that mood. Needless to say, it was the exact kind of movie I wanted to watch.

There was something about Clooney’s voice over narration at the beginning that drew me in. The line “Paradise can go fuck itself” sold it for me. Again, it could have been the mood I was in because I had never cared for Clooney before, but right from the get go, I was on board.

This movie struck a cord with me. When I try to pinpoint the reason as to why I liked this movie so much, the answer is obvious: the script! There was a perfect balance of voice over narration and dialogue from the characters themselves. The narration was very fitting for the overall tone and vibe of the movie. What needed to be narrated was, and what needed to be said by the characters was as well. The actual script itself was solid. It was very precise and to the point, while also being very relatable. Pretty much every line had purpose and made you think. I’ll list a few of my favourite quotes at the end of the review.

This movie had a very simple plot; and that’s why I think it worked so well. What could be more simple than a movie about a guy dealing with actual life problems! Matt King (Clooney) is a lawyer who owns a huge chunk of Hawaiian land (which is brothers/cousins want to sell). His wife was in a major boating accident and he is left taking care of his 2 daughters. According to himself, he’s “the backup parent. The understudy”. He doesn’t know how to deal with his daughters and this movie is about him trying to reconnect with them.

Aside from saying that Clooney did a great job as Matt, and that Shailene Woodley did a good job as Alexandra, I don’t have much else to say about the acting. The actors looked their part.

Overall, I think the script is what makes this movie. It keeps you highly entertained, which doesn’t seem easy, because the movie is about a guy who is dealing with problems that any human can go through in their lifetime. I would recommend this to everyone, but I feel as if some people may appreciate it more than others.

Side note: watching George Clooney run made me laugh :p

QUOTES:
“I don't want my daughters growing up entitled and spoiled. And I agree with my father: you give your children enough money to do something, but not enough to do nothing”

“A family seems exactly like an archipelago. All part of the same hole. But still separate and alone. And always drifting apart”

“Whoa. Easy there half pipe”

No comments:

Post a Comment