April 26, 2013

The Visitor

2007 – 1/5

I like Richard Jenkins and I heard a few good reviews when it first came out, so I decided to watch it on my night in.

Yes, I did just say I like Jenkins, but I do have to say that all the characters were kind of boring. The first interaction between Walter and Tarek/Zainab was rushed, and it didn’t do a good job at allowing the viewer truly feel as if there was a connection created right off the bat (same goes with Walter and Mouna AND Zainab and Mouna).

I didn’t really catch if there was a point to this movie, aside from portraying the illegal immigrant issue from the point of view of a Caucasian guy that befriends a Syrian guy and his Senagalian(?) girlfriend. At the end of the day, they were illegal immigrants… fyi, I’m not a fan of the shitty treatment they receive.

How pointless was it to add a snobby, ignorant Caucasian lady, just for the sake of saying that she was in some city in South Africa, hundreds of miles away from Zainab’s home country, Senegal. Again, another example of grasping for straws, but failing to make it meaningful.

You could tell the director was trying to add a lot of sentiment between characters, but everything seemed too easy. There was a clear attempt to make a beautiful story with the content, but it just ended up being a ‘so what’ movie.

I originally gave this movie a 2, but as I was writing my review, I began to like it less and less. I don’t see myself watching this movie ever again. It doesn’t have any repeat value. I might recommend people it to certain people, but I’ve seen it once, and once is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment