May 28, 2013

The Hangover III

2013 - 3/5

Being the third and final movie in the Hangover trilogy, I knew I’d watch it in theatres. The first Hangover was very original and funny. The second was pretty much the exact same thing, except it was set in Thailand rather than Las Vegas, but not as funny. Considering the second movie was pretty much a re-hash of the first, I didn’t really know what to expect with Part 3. I knew it had to be different, but even after having seen the trailer, I didn’t really get what the plot was.

For those of you who haven’t figured it out, the plot isn’t similar to its predecessors. Now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure there was no drinking at all. Part 3 is based around the Wolfpack (Phil, Stu and Alan) searching for Mr. Chow. They are doing this because their friend Doug has been kidnapped by Marshall (John Goodman) and his hooligans. Marshall is doing this because he is after Chow and he believes the Wolfpack are the only people that can bring Chow to him.

I actually enjoyed the storyline. I didn’t mind that it had nothing to do with the Wolfpack getting drunk or roofied and blacking out, and having to retrace their steps to figure out what happened the night before. The plot was simple, it made sense and it flowed very well. It was never choppy. I also really enjoyed that this movie incorporated some things from the previous 2. I liked these throwbacks, and it reminded the viewer of certain details/parts that they may have forgotten about.

I have no problems saying that I got several genuine laughs throughout this movie. The comedy was very situationally based, and not forced at all. It’s very obvious when a movie adds a certain scene/situation into a movie just for the sake of adding that one laugh, but it never works because it just didn’t fit right; when it comes to this movie, that didn’t happen at all. Again, everything flowed very well. The script was consistent and every character had great dialogue.

Alan (Zach Galifianakis) stole the show. He was the star – he is the reason why you should see this movie. The guy was hilarious in every scene. Solid performance. I know a lot of people are saying that Alan has gone from being the lovable idiot to being a jerk, but I still see him as a lovable idiot. Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms were good too. These 3 guys make a great trio. They’re individual character traits blend together very well.

I was so happy to see Melissa McCarthy and John Goodman in the trailer for this movie. Goodman has been one of my favourite actors within the last 2 years, and to see him as a mob boss in a comedy movie was great! There is nobody, and I mean NOBODY, better than McCarthy that could have been picked to pair up with Alan. It was as if these 2 were meant to be on screen together.

Overall, if you've seen the other 2 movies, you should definitely watch this one. It's better than the second, but not as good as the first (and I say this because the first was the original, so that merits a higher ranking).

***SPOILER ALERT***
When McCarthy was first introduced, I knew she’d get married to Alan. I have a feeling that that wedding night will result in a Hangover 4 (or at least a 3.5), even though this one is supposed to be the last. Also, Doug wasn’t in the hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment