January 16, 2014

Rush

2013 - 4/5

I’ll come right out and say it: before this movie, I had zero interest in Formula 1 racing… and I still don’t. A movie won’t change that. However, where this movie gets me is the fact that as soon as it was over, I immediately googled Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Mind you, I was only looking through the pictures, but nonetheless, I looked into it. I think that says a lot about a movie.

This movie was 2 hours long and it did not feel like it; it was perfectly paced. And by perfect, I mean PERFECT. Everything happened in a manner to which it didn’t seem like nothing was left out and nothing was shoe-horned in for the sake of filler. This leads me to my next point…

When I think of a supporting cast, there really isn’t one. I guess you can consider Suzy (Olivia Wilde) and Marlene (Alexandra Maria Lara) as the closest things to, but in the end, its all Niki Lauda and James Hunt. That’s it, that’s all you’re going to get. And I’m fine with that. Ron Howard put this movie together so well that that’s all you need. You don’t need other people and their side stories. From what I read on IMDB, the writer of this movie, Peter Morgan structured the film as a race of sorts between the two main characters. And it shows!

This movie is so character driven that I would have been content with just that. But the races were an added bonus. The story is the rivalry between Lauda and Hunt. As it progressed, you watch the movie as them as rivals, but what you actually get from it is 2 guys pushing themselves further to come out on top. You get the sense that they don’t hate each other; that they actually very much respect one another. It came across to the viewer so well. To me, that was the intent of the movie, and it was displayed so well.

Because this movie is based on 2 main characters, you end up getting 2 perspectives. This would be a great time to mention that the amazing camera angles that actually gave you a glimpse of what Luada or Hunt sees. There are times in which you side with one driver, but a bit later, you’re rooting for the other. As I was watching this, I felt that Lauda and Hunt were both on an even playing field. Ron Howard did a great job with not giving one of the drivers a lopsided advantage in the eyes of the viewer. You end up liking both characters. Lauda and Hunt for sure have different tactics and styles. And its because they’re so different that you are Team Lauda one minute, then Team Hunt the next. You really enjoy both characters and how they go about their job and their lives. Hunt is arrogant, cocky and an asshole. Lauda is professional, methodical, and also an asshole.

It’s the connection they have to one another that keeps you watching with anticipation to see how things unfold. This is probably one of the best character driven movies I’ve ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment