March 5, 2014

American Hustle

2013 - 1/5

I’ve heard good and bad about this movie. I came to the conclusion that I should watch it and see where I fall on that spectrum. The movie had a lot of hype and big name actors, and that’s why I decided to watch it. Looking back, I should have gone with the advice of my 2 close friends who told me not to watch it.

I can’t help but draw some parallels to The Wolf Of Wall Street, with regards to the con-man aspect. This movie was one note. I watched it to the end hoping that there would be ups and downs, but sadly that’s not what I got.

I liked how the director chose to show you a scene then rewind to explain how it got there. I thought that was a good way to keep the viewer interested. However, with that being said, I can’t personally say that I was drawn into the movie as much as I think I should have been. The content wasn’t the most entertaining thing, it couldn’t keep my interest.

There were several parts in which I found myself laughing at what I was watching; and not because it was meant to be funny – it was pathetic. I didn’t know how else to react, so I just laughed. I only realized that this movie is classified as a Comedy after I watched it. Knowing this now, again, I’ll say that I laughed not because it was genuinely funny, but because I didn’t know what to think.

As for the acting, I was told that Jennifer Lawrence was in it for about 15 minutes. Well, she wasn’t a main character, but when she was on screen, she was one of the non-boring characters. Albeit, I don’t think I truly believed her in that role, but she did just fine with it.

Christian Bale was so bland. There was nothing about his performance that left me in awe of his talent. Same goes with Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and pretty much everyone else. The actors were fine, the characters were terrible.

I don’t know why Robert DeNiro keeps accepting roles that would make him look like a tough guy (in this movie, a head mobster). Yes, he was badass back in the day, and I think people are trying to hold onto that nostalgia so badly that he gets casted and only ends up making a 5 minute cameo that really amounts to nothing.

I didn’t care for any of the characters or their outcomes because the plot was going nowhere. I felt as if the director tried to keep adding all these extra characters and extra subplots to the story to keep the movie rolling, but the movie only touched on one point each time and moved on.

Overall, there wasn’t much substance that really made me want to write a review. Granted, I did, but that’s more so because I haven’t really written a decent review in a while. As for the ending, being a con-man movie, it should have had a really good ending, but it turned out to be a so-what ending.

Other movies that David O. Russell directed that I've seen:
I Heart Huckabees
Three Kings

No comments:

Post a Comment