July 7, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars

2014 - 1/5

I've been following the VlogBrothers on YouTube for about 4 years now and when I heard that John Green had a book coming out, I bought it to support him. Now that the movie is out, I for sure wanted to see it, again to support him*.

I did read the book and I can’t say I was a huge fan of that. I didn’t really care to see the movie, but I had the feeling my mom would like it.

As much as I don’t want to specifically categorize this, but this movie is really a teen movie. As an older audience it was just too cheesy. I read a review on IMDB that said this movie was probably aiming to be a “Dromantic Quirkedy” (dramatic romantic quirky comedy).

I wasn’t a fan of the casting which means that I didn’t like the majority of the actors/acting:
-Shailen Woodly was the only actress I liked. I thought she looked the part and I liked her voiceover.
-Gus seemed smug rather than sly and witty.
-I hated Isaac and every time he was on screen.
-I didn’t like Hazel’s mom at all; the actress was overdoing it.
-I really didn’t like Hazel’s dad at all. His acting was terrible and he just didn’t look right in the role.

I didn’t like how Hazel and Gus would go back and forth between how teens typical speak and profound (adult?) speaking. It just seemed out of place.

I give this a 1/5 for John Green and Shailen Woodly. That is all.

***SPOILERS:
I really disliked the cigarette metaphor. I thought that it was still promoting cigarettes (considering the main target audience was teen girls). Although Gus said he never actually lit one, he was still spending money, ergo he was supporting cigarette companies. That just didn’t sit well with me.

Not sure why Gus became depressed after he got back from Amsterdam, considering he knew his cancer was back before he had left.

Hazel walking up all the stairs in Anne Franks house was made to make the audience feel worried about her health, but I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. What made it even worse is the other tourists in the attic applauding Hazel and Gus after they kiss.


My Mom's reviews:
She said that she liked Gus and his character. She liked the movie as a whole. 

*He did say that he was paid out for the rights to the story (via the book), and that he is not making any sort of commission from the movie ticket sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment