October 2, 2014

The Way Way Back

2013 - 4/5

I’ve been needing to watch a good movie, and without knowing much about this movie, I picked it, hoping it wouldn’t be one-tone. I actually really liked this movie. The cast was amazing and the story, although done many times before, had a uniqueness to it.

The thing is, I want to compare this movie to The Fault In Our Stars, but I feel as if that does this movie a huge injustice. I did not like anything about the teens in TFIOS, however, I couldn’t help but think that this is what TFIOS should have been. Although I don’t think these movies are on the same level, the easiest way to say it is that TFIOS’s target audience for this one is young people. That’s not to say older people shouldn’t watch it or like it, but I’m just saying that its geared towards the young. The Way Way Back on the other hand, is more geared towards anyone. It’s a drama with a teen as the main lead, unlike TFIOS which is a teen drama. Big difference.

Steve Carell and Toni Collette’s names are on the poster, and they were fantastic, however, Liam James was phenomenal as Duncan, a 14 year old shy guy that hasn’t found a voice of his own. He portrayed the mannerisms and the emotions so well. His facial expressions and body language were so authentic and natural.

As for Carell and Collette, it was nice seeing them in another movie together (the first being Little Miss Sunshine; in which they were brother and sister). I thought they had great chemistry in that movie, and I thought it would be awkward seeing them as a couple in this movie, but from their first scene together moving forward, they were a couple. They work off one another so well.

I’d be lying if I said that Sam Rockwell as Owen wasn’t my favourite character in this movie. He was a fast talker, but I hung on every word. You don’t know what’s going to come out of his mouth next, and I was just mesmerized by much talent he had. He was such a genuine character and he was fun to listen to. Rockwell is for sure an underrated actor and he made me smile every time he was on screen.

One of my favourite lines (from Owen to Duncan who is sitting at a bench in the water park):
Yeah. You're going to have to take off. We're getting complaints. You're having way too much fun. It's making everyone uncomfortable.

Everyone else did a good job too. I don’t think there was a weakest link. I liked that I got whatever vibe I was supposed to get from each character. They all did well.

This movie had really good pace. I think part of the story progressed as it needed to and there was good flow between scenes and introducing characters. The storyline could have very easily been exaggerated in some parts, but the directors kept it simple; which in turn, at least in my books, kept it more realistic.

Overall, its a great feel-good movie thats down to Earth and has relatable characters and situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment