April 2, 2016

The Little Prince

2016 - 3.8/5

I can honestly say that I was never a huge fan of the book; I only read it within the last 5 years for the first time. When I saw the trailer for the movie, it looked absolutely beautiful and I knew I had to watch it.

The animation was stunning. At no point did I question anything. The voices were just as beautifully picked and it was a pleasure to watch. The score was enjoyable. For a movie that was just over an hour and half, it sure didn’t feel like it. It had a good pace and at no point did I feel it was dragging. It used the parts it needed to from the book and made it into its own. Most times, I find that that doesn’t work, but I’m on board with this one.

This movie embodies the fine line between childhood and adulthood and what is expected of us – what I took from it, and have always believed, is that it doesn’t matter if that line is blurred. You have a kid who has always looked up to her mother, yet it seems like a very bleak life; lots of greys and matte colours. When the Aviator comes into the girls life, there's colour, fun and imagination! The contrast between the two is so well demonstrated visually (and throughout the story line).

I really don’t understand why this movie flew under the radar; it should have gotten a lot more attention than it did, but nevertheless, I recommend it… not necessarily to really young kids. It would be neat to see what they’d take from it though. This movie is not just about growing up, it's about growing old, so I think most people will be able to enjoy it. Take some time out of your daily grind for this one ;) :P

"Growing up is not the problem. Forgetting is."

"It is only with heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment