January 22, 2011

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

2008 - 4/5

Plot: A-
Peter gets dumped by his famous girlfriend of 5 years, Sarah Marshall. After some convincing of his half brother Brian, Peter goes on a vacation to Hawaii only to find that Sarah Marshall is staying at the same hotel with her new (also famous) boyfriend, Aldous Snow. The storyline is engaging because it’s about something people can sympathize with – a break up.

Script: A+ (***SPOILER ALERT***)
Segel wrote a very clever and hilarious screenplay. So many memorable lines!

I love it when even the little things (?) that are said are so funny, for example:
Peter – Now I have the freshest cereal.

Peter – Stop pulling my face towards your face.

Chuck – When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons' and bail.

Although, pretty much everything that was said was really funny, my favourite conversation was between Peter and Rachel (when they first meet):

Peter – Did she see me?
Rachel – Ya.
Peter – Is she coming over here?
Rachel – Yup.
Peter – I wish I wasn’t wearing this fucking shirt.
Rachel – Why don’t you try to unbutton it!
[Peter unbuttons the top button]
Rachel – Button it back up.

My favourite conversation between Matthew and Aldous was:

Matthew: I have a question for you real quick. What did you think of my demo? Did you get it?
Aldous: I was gonna listen to that, but then, um, I just carried on living my life.

Acting: A
I hadn’t really seen Jason Segel in anything else, but he was really good in this movie and he kept getting better and better as it went on.
I never really knew who Kristen Bell was but I liked her acting and her character.
I think this was the first feature film I’ve seen Mila Kunis in, and I think she stepped up to the plate.
Paul Rudd as Chuck was really funny! – It was easy to tell that Segel and Rudd made a good pair; case in point, I Love You, Man that stars both of them.
Russell Brand didn’t have a huge role in this movie. I’ve never been a fan of his, but he was bearable in small doses here and there.
Jonah Hill had a few funny lines, but his character wasn’t that great.
Bill Hader as Peter’s half brother Brian was really funny too!

Soundtrack: A
Dracula musicals are AWESOME! What makes it even better is that Segel had written it when he was 21.
The other songs were great too, but the Dracula musical was very original, so that stood out the most for me.

Overall: A
Peter’s honest reactions and emotions of going through the break up is something people can connect to. I was pretty much laughing throughout the entire movie! A great cast + extremely funny script = an awesome movie!
Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment