January 3, 2011

The Town

2010 - 4.3/5

***SPOILER ALERT***

Plot: B+
Doug MacRay (Affleck) and his crew rob a bank and take the bank manager (Rebecca Hall) hostage for a short while. Once they let her go, they find out that she lives a few blocks away from them. In order to find out how much information she knows and has told the police, Doug decides to befriend her and eventually, he ends up falling for her; in the mean while, the crew has to avoid being caught by the FBI. Doug also wants to get out of the ‘business’ but too many people rely on him and won’t let him out.

Script: A+
I would have to say that this movie had the best script for 2010. The Boston accent was well done by all the actors (not that I really know what it sounds like, but I’m just assuming).

Some of my favourite lines were:

Doug: I like to have a good cry at the nail salon.
Doug: You have a card. No one says you have to play it right away
Stephen MacRay: I didn’t think you’d carry it like a fucking disease.
Stephen MacRay: I didn’t look for her because there was nothing to find.
James: You grew up right here! Same rules that I did!
James: If we get jammed up, we're holding court on the street.
James: Yeah, these guards like to test you, though. They wanna get hurt for ten dollars an hour, don't get in the way.

Acting: A
The people that stood out for me the most were Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner.
Ben Affleck has always been a solid actor (at least in roles similar to this one; I’m not talking about Gigli here). He also had a great body!
Although S.W.A.T. was the only other movie I’ve seen Renner in, it’s obvious that he’s grown as an actor since then. He defiantly deserves the Academy Award nomination for Actor in a Supporting Role.

Overall: A
I truly believe that this movie went unnoticed in regards to the Academy Award nomination; it deserved more nominations (best picture & directing). It’s very suspenseful and dramatic, and it has a lot of action and some awesome car chases. The good setting and great shots make for wonderful cinematography.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My moms' review of this movie:
it was exciting and it had a few different genres in it (drama, action, suspense).
she liked the emotions of Ben Affleck's character, and what he did for the girl.
it was good. it kept her on the edge of the seat waiting to see what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment