August 26, 2011

Cellular

2004 - 3/5

Let me start off by saying that you cannot go into this movie thinking you’re about to see a masterpiece – it is far from it. BUT, if you want to be entertained, then I think it’s worth your time. I will say that there are several plot holes, but they can be overlooked. When I first saw this I thought it was going to be very similar to Phonebooth, but its not – this movie is good, whereas Phonebooth sucked!

Plot: B-
Not even 5 minutes in and the action begin! The movie starts with Kim Basinger’s character Jessica getting kidnapped from her own home. She is driven to a different location and locked in an attic. She has no idea where she is and why she has been taken. The only (very old school) phone in the room had been smashed to pieces by one of her captures, but she soon realizes the phone still has a dial tone. After clicking some wires together (cough*bullshit*cough), she gets through to an immature young guy named Ryan (Chris Evans). She pleads for help while Ryan thinks it’s a big joke. After overhearing a confrontation, Ryan soon realizes this isn’t a joke. Basically, the rest of the movie is about Ryan running around trying to help/find Jessica.

Acting: B-
For what they had to work with, I think that Kim Basinger and Chris Evans did a great job portraying their roles. I think this was the first movie I’ve ever seen Jason Statham in; he’s always type-casted in action roles and he did a good job as the bad guy. William H Macy did a good job as well with his Policemen role, but it was a relatively small role.

Overall: B-
For what it was and what I expected, it delivered. It was very suspenseful and it had good flow. It’s not a movie in which the viewer can guess why Jessica was kidnapped, and I think that that made it more entertaining. Stay with the pace of the movie, don’t over-think it, and it will be worth the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment