August 29, 2011

Heat

1995 - 2.7/5

I was unaware that this movie was almost 3 hours long. But unlike the movie itself, I’ll try to keep the review short.

Neil McCauley (DeNiro) is a thief and he is really good. Along with Chris Shiherlis (Kilmer) and Michael Cheritto (Sizemore) they decide to go after one last big score at a bank. Vincent Hanna (Pacino) is a detective who wants to take McCauley down.

I found that it started off at a good pace, but slowed down at the half way mark; although I don’t necessarily think the movie dragged at any point, I do think it was longer than it needed to be. It did have some good action scenes, but some were over-the-top.

DeNiro and Pacino are a great pair, and this movie highlights that. I wasn’t really drawn into one character or another. I found that I didn’t really care about the characters and what happens to them, although, near the end when Hanna was chasing McCauley I couldn’t decide who I wanted to prevail.

The script was okay, but I didn’t think there was anything that was really compelling. I did like McCauley’s line “I’m alone, I am not lonely”.

Overall, I did like it, but it was longer than it should have been. I doubt I’ll ever watch it again, but it’s worth the one viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment