May 2, 2012

The Lucky One

2012 - 2/5

The girl in my gives this movie a 4/5, but when it comes down to it, this movie does not deserve a 4.

Chick flick: absolutely.
Cliché: of course.
Zac Efron: even hotter than before.

Let me start out by saying that if you’ve seen the trailer, you’ve pretty much seen the movie (I feel as if I’ve said that a lot in my reviews lately). The trailer tells you exactly what to expect; you know what will happen and you know what the acting is going to be like. So if you’re expecting anything other than what you saw in the trailer, you will be disappointed. This is a movie based on a book written by Nicholas Sparks, so again, you just know what to expect from that regard. I personally enjoyed this movie (for reasons other than Zac Efron).

I think I made my point earlier that there really isn’t much more to the plot other than what’s seen from the trailer, BUT, if that did seem interesting for you, then you might like it. The storyline is as follows: Logan is a Marine stationed in Iraq. One day he comes across a picture of a girl and he feels that it has become something like a lucky charm for him. He decides that if he makes it back to the US he will find this girl and thank her for being his ‘guardian angel’. I thought the storyline was interesting and it was nice to see on screen, but I will say that it felt a bit slow during the first half but rushed in the second.

As for the acting, I will say that at times it was hard to buy the chemistry between Logan (Zac Efron) and Beth (Taylor Schilling). That could have been because Taylor Schilling looked older than Zac Efron and I don’t think they fully clicked. I think it would be fair to say that Zac Efron did an amazing job as Logan. He didn’t have a whole lot of dialogue, but when he spoke it had a bit more of an impact. His body language and facial expressions are what really sold it for me.

I defiantly think it’s worth mentioning that Blythe Danner as Beth’s mom did a wonderful job! I haven’t seen too many movies with her in it, but I was able to tell right away that I liked her in everything I’ve seen her in.

I don’t think this review will be complete unless I mention the number of times I said “He’s hot” (‘he’ being ZE) throughout the movie: 24.

Lastly, I haven’t read the book yet, but I did order it. I have read reviews on IMDB and people have said that the book is different, so I’m curious as to how it ends.
I actually didn’t get the cover with Efron on it because I liked the cover art before it became a movie. I also figured that once I buy the movie, I’d have the cover with Efron on it ;) :P.
UPDATE: I have read the book and it is different from the movie. It still has the same plot, but the situations and interactions between characters are a different. I can say that I hated the book.
Check out my GoodReads account for a review of the book:
http://www.goodreads.com/5ally5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mom’s review: 
-The story was good.
-Zac Efron was very emotional (=good). He acted very well.
-The grandma was very excited her granddaughter liked Logan.
-Logan’s interactions with Beth’s son Ben was nice (dancing, playing instruments).
-My favourite aspect of this movie would have had to been that Logan seemed to know how to interact with his dog, Beth, Ben, Ellie and Keith.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment