June 1, 2012

Snow White & the Huntsman

2012 - 4/5

I got to see this in the VIP Cinema for free!

These were my thoughts going into this movie:
-The first movie I had ever seen Chris Hemsworth was Thor and I liked that a lot more than I thought. After having seen the trailer for SW&tH I can’t imagine a better person for the role as the Huntsman!
-I like Charlize Theron and she looks like she really fits the part as Ravenna.
-The only movie I have ever seen Kristin Stewart in was In the Land of Women and she was okay, so I’m hoping she’s better in this.
-Other than the general Snow White storyline I’m not too sure what the plot is after having seen the trailer; I would prefer if they keep it simple and not stray too far away from the original story.
-It seems as if there is going to be a lot of cool effects and I’m looking forward to that.
-The costumes look really good.

My thoughts after having seen the movie:
I don’t remember much of the original Snow White storyline but I loved how this movie brought a new dark twist to a classic fairytale. There were a few points of this movie that reminded me of the movies Pans Labyrinth and The Black Swan. There was a creepy vibe throughout the movie and it kept you on your toes. Without ruining anything the only thing I will say is that the only part that dragged a little was about an hour and half in. It was only for a short while, so it picked up again pretty fast.

The visual effects were done really well and they were every cooler than I thought. Every detail was so precise and it just brought everything in the movie together. And yes, that does include the costumes and sets. The sound effects were spot on and the score added to the intensity.

If anyone was going to be the weakest link, I was expecting it to be Kristin Stewart as Snow White. I mentioned earlier that I was hoping she’d do a better job in this movie than the other one I had seen her in, and I think she did; but at the same time I think she’s a type-casted actress. It just so happened that her usual acting fit the role of Snow White perfectly.

When it comes to Chris Hemsworth, he did a great job with his role as Eric, the Huntsman. He suits the warrior-type roles – case in point, Thor. I have to admit that I don’t feel as if he had a really strong presence on screen as a secondary character.

Just by watching the trailer you can tell that Charlize Theron has evil lurking behind her eyes as The Evil Queen. Her acting was amazing and I would expect her to be nominated for an Oscar. There’s no doubt in my mind that she stole the show! Solid performance.

***SPOILER ALERT***
-I’m not sure why but I wasn’t expecting the dwarves but I really liked how they were incorporated. They were relevant to the story.
-It was interesting to see a final battle between 2 females.

No comments:

Post a Comment