July 16, 2013

Clueless

1995 – 4.9/5

An opportunity came up to see this in the outdoor theater at Stanley Park. Would I miss such an opportunity? As if!!!

This movie is a classic of its genre. Any teen movie made since 1995 took a page from movie in one way or another. Its been almost 20 years since this movie first came out, but this movie will never get old. Its something I can re-watch over and over again and still enjoy it. I love how it’s still relevant so many years later.

Alica Silverstone as Cher was perfect! She was very believable as the rich girl from Beverly Hill. Zero flaws in her acting. The character was so well rounded.

There was a perfect blend of other characters in this movie that worked very well with Cher; like Dionne, whose her “friend because [they] both know what it's like for people to be jealous of [them]” -Cher.

It’s great to see a young Paul Rudd and Brittany Murphy. They both did a great job!

The script was the absolute best part of this movie. Pretty much every line was very well thought out. So clever and witty. Each character had their moments. Definitely a script that can still be quoted.

The plot was simple, the script was the best, and the acting was solid. What more could you want from a movie in the teen genre! Like my 1993 Acura Integra, this is a movie that’s able to hold is value after so many years. I would say this movie a guilty pleasure, but screw that! No guilt at all!

This movie kind of makes me want to read Jane Austen’s, Emma. I’m curious as to how contemporary the movie is compared to the book.

Some of my favourite lines:

Dionne: Hello? There was a stop sign!
Cher: I totally paused.

Mel: Which reminds me, where's your report card?
Cher: It's not ready yet.
Mel: What do you mean, "it's not ready yet?"
Cher: Well, some teachers are trying to low-ball me, Daddy. And I know how you say, "Never accept a first offer", so I figure these grades are just a jumping off point to start negotiations.

Mel: Do you know what time it is?
Cher: A watch doesn’t really go with outfit, daddy.

Cher: Do you prefer "fashion victim" or "ensembly challenged"?

Josh: Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Cher: No. Why, does it sound like I do?

Tai: Why should I listen to you, anyway? You're a virgin who can't drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment