August 13, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

2012 – 2.9/5

***SPOILERS***

This is probably going to sound weird but I don’t have a lot to say about this movie. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it. I’m stuck in between, hence the 2.9/5 rating.

This is going to have to be a semi-point form review.

The very first scene is one plane dragging the other in mid air and that was VERY cool. I had never seen that happen in any other movie and it just looked very cool.

I’m not one to care for superhero-movie-gadget’s which is probably why I didn’t find the vehicles that Batman used cool (the Bat and his motorcycle), but the effects in general were done very well. I’m glad that this movie was 2D; I don’t think 3D would have added anything.

Every single police officer in Gotham going underground and getting stuck for 3 months was just absurd and stupid.

It was established right at the start that Bruce Wayne/Batman was off his game and has been for a while. I liked that he was mentally broken down. You never see superhero’s that down and out. I have never seen a superhero that crushed. I liked Christian Bale more in this movie than I did in The Dark Knight. Maybe because his Batman voice annoyed me less.

I loved Alfred every time he was on screen. His lines were probably my favourite.

Anne Hathaway was sly and it suited her more than I thought it would. I wasn’t a fan of who I thought Selina Kyle/Catwoman would be from the trailer, but she turned out to be more cunning than what the trailer shows.

I became a fan of Tom Hardy after having watched Warrior. I thought he was jacked up enough for that movie, but boy did he get bigger for this role. I can’t say that I didn’t like Bane, but I didn’t really love him either. I know this will sound odd, because he was one of the major characters in this movie, but for me, he was just there. I hated his voice and I went in and out of understanding what he was saying the entire movie. I didn’t like the mask on his face, although it did remind me of Scorpion and Sub-Zero’s mask from Mortal Kombat (which for the record, I loved).

It may be obvious considering I added a picture of Joseph Gordon Levitt in this blog, but he was my favourite character by far. At the end when he said his birth name was Robin, I got all giddy. I had never liked Robin as a child, but I would LOVE to see JGL be in a movie as Robin. He is an incredible actor and I think that he would do a great job as a superhero! It literally brings a smile to my face when I think of JGL as Robin :D.

It was a good movie, just not one that cared for. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

1 comment:

  1. If they did a JGL movie from this, I would hope it'd be about him as Nightwing or Batman instead of as Robin. Robin is just the identity of Batman's superhero sidekick; JGL was never Batman's sidekick. Nightwing is (in some entities) what Dick Grayson (the original Robin) became when he grew up, although he did also serve as Batman for a time after Batman's death. I can't see how doing a "Robin" movie would look good in the post _Batman and Robin_ world, and at the same time Christopher Nolan has said he won't do another "Batman"... but doing a "Nightwing" movie is neither Robin nor Batman....

    ReplyDelete