April 28, 2012

Little Miss Sunshine

2006 – 5/5

This review has been years in the making. Since its release in 2006, I’ve been meaning to write a full review for this movie; finally 6 years later, I’m getting around to it. It’s been a long time coming and the reason as to why its taken me so long to write this is because I want to this review to do the movie justice. Although I doubt this review will be as perfect as the movie, I know I tried and I never gave up (haha, get it?).

Who better to recommend this movie to me than my Abnormal Psychology professor at SFU! I really mean that because the Hoover family is a dysfunctional one and defiantly on the verge of a breakdown.

This movie was on the darker, quirkier side. One minute you might be laughing, and the next minute you might be crying. Or you might even be laughing and crying at the same time. This movie had a great mix of general humor and adult humor.

Each character has their own flaws and you get a good sense of them as they are introduced because they are so well portrayed. You really get the sense that they are a family that cares about one another. You can’t help but form a bond with them and root for them as they face every obstacle. They were a real family and you got to see every raw moment of it. Despite all the misfortunes this family goes through, it is still very inspiring. It is a simple movie that had one message from start to finish:
"A real loser is someone who's so afraid of not winning, he doesn't even try."

As for the star of this movie, Abigail Breslin. She was phenomenal. Her portrayal of Olive was spot-on and she brought a smile to my face every time she was on screen. Breslin got a much deserved Academy nomination for her role as Olive Hoover. This movie was by far the highlight of her career, which is unfortunate to say because anything she does after won’t ever be as good. Olive Hoover was the most beautiful kid in this movie. This will probably be the only time that I’ve ever enjoyed hearing a kid scream so loud.

The plot was simple, the script was amazing, the acting was perfect, the cinematography topped it all off and the directing brought everything together. If I had to sum up this movie in one word I’d say ‘brilliant’. All in all, this movie motivates you to “do what you love and fuck the rest”.

My favourite line:
Olive: I’d like to dedicate this to my grandpa, who showed me these moves.


No comments:

Post a Comment