April 3, 2012

The Hunger Games

2012 – 2.5/5

I gave the book 2.5/5, and I felt as if the book was a little better than the movie but I gave the movie 2.5 because the girl that played Katniss did a really good job. I know that a 2.5/5 rating does seem low, but I can’t justify giving the movie a higher rating than the book, and I’m not willing to change my rating on the book.

To some extent it’s hard to compare the movie to the book because the book is almost always better. And to say that certain characters or aspects of the plot were better developed in the book than the movie isn’t necessarily a fair assessment. But then again, the director wasn’t working with a blank slat; it just needed to be put together visually. I know this isn’t feasible, but this movie could have been broken up into 2 parts – but I know that wouldn’t work for a movie like this.

As I said earlier, I think Jennifer Lawrence did a great job as Katniss. I had read the book after I saw the trailer for the movie and I had pictured her as Katniss while reading the book. So once I actually saw the movie, she obviously suited who/what I expected Katniss to be.

Liam Hamsworth did a good job as Gale. From the moment that Gale was introduced in the book, I hoped that Katniss ended up with him. I still do (although I have been told what happens in Catching Fire and Mockingjay).

Josh Hutcherson suited the Peeta as well. The main parts I liked him in were the parts in which he was picked as a tribute and when he was leaving District 12. Once the games started, I didn’t really like his parts.

I love Woody Harrelson. He usually brings so much to a character in any role. You would think that he would be really good in this role as Haymitch, but I don’t think there was much to the character. Haymitch was more developed in the book, but he was bland in the movie.

Elizabeth Banks is okay and I do think she’s a good actress. I can’t help but feel that anyone could have done just as good with the role of Effie. Her outfits were eccentric but I wasn’t a huge fan of them.

I liked Cinna in the book because the connection between him and Katniss was more genuine, whereas it didn’t seem as sincere in the movie.

Stanley Tucci was amazing. He is really making a name for himself lately and he’s a treat to watch on screen. I had a feeling that Caesar was going to explain how the games work and the smaller details. It worked well, and it was well integrated into the movie. He was a good host/announcer.

Of the movies I have seen Wes Bentley in (which I can’t even remember any), I have never liked him. I actually really liked him as Seneca. He looked slick and his acting never seemed forced. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think it is worth watching (and reading) for its originality. There were times in which it dragged, but it was never really boring. The love story portion of the movie was my least favourite part, but it wasn’t cheesy. It was actually something that needed to expand for the sake of the Hunger Games rather than being apart of the story. It wasn’t thrown in for the hell of it; it had purpose. I liked the amount of drama and action.

Random side note:
-Yay that the actor that played Cato (Alexander Ludwig) is a Vancouverite!
-How weird is it that the son and daughter in How I Met Your Mother both went for the roles of Katniss and Gale.


No comments:

Post a Comment