December 20, 2015

American History X

1998 - 5/5

For a movie that’s been at the top my favourite list since its release in 1998 (until Little Miss Sunshine came out in 2006), I have yet to actually write a review for it. Why? Because sometimes it’s hard putting into words how truly amazing something is. Saying that this movie is amazing is an understatement. Its been almost 20 years since its release and even now, I’m finding it hard to put into words what I think and feel about this movie. Speaking of feeling, this is probably the first movie that ever gave me the feels. It is such a powerful movie with such a powerful message, and it’s done so beautifully.

The way the movie was put together: the camera angles, the black and white scenes used for the flashbacks and full colour for the present day, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was spot on. Needless to say, this movie was snubbed at the Academy Awards.

Oh my god, Edward Norton. If you’ve seen the movie, you’ll know what I’m about to say without reading on. This guy I tell you. Of the many, many, many movies I’ve seen before I saw this movie, and since I saw this movie, I can without a doubt say that his role as Derek Vineyard was the best acting I have ever seen. The look on his face (again, if you’ve seen this movie you’ll know which part I’m talking about) when he turns around is so horrifying and it stays with you.

As for Edward Furlong, he was fantastic in this too as Danny, Derek’s younger brother. The movie is told from his point of view and you see how much of what his brother did had an impact on his life as he follows in Derek’s footsteps. Furlong had sooo much potential after this, but unfortunately, his acting career didn’t seem to extend into the 2000’s in a notable way.

It’s rare when every aspect of a movie, the plot, script, acting, cinematography, ect, line up so incredibly well. This movie is such a brutal, but honest depiction of racism and all the bullshit that goes along with it. This is just one of those movies you have to see at least once in your lifetime.

It is such a captivating movie that you get pulled into it and there’s no going back. It’s a thought provoking movie that actually leaves you speechless; hence why its taken me almost 20 years to write this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment