November 13, 2012

Seven Pshychopaths

2012 – 2.4/5

Before I saw the neon green movie poster for this movie, I did not know it existed. The title sounded interesting enough for me to look into a bit further, and once I found out that Christopher Walken was in it, I was sold! (I have what my friend calls “CWB” – Christopher Walken Bias).

I wanted to go into this movie blind, so I decided I wouldn’t watch the trailer. I don’t even think I read the synopsis, but I remember seeing that it was listed as a comedy, which I wasn’t expecting. I had heard from a few people that it was good, so that made me what to see it even more. What was even more intriguing were the pictures I saw while trying to find an image to add to this review.

I had really hoped that I wasn’t hyping myself up for this movie, but I don’t think I did. I went in with no expectations and came out not knowing how I felt about it. At times, it felt as if the movie didn’t know where it was going and it just kept trucking on because it had to (especially with certain characters and situations that needed some sort of closure). The first half of the movie was really good and I was enjoying it. At the half way mark, the movie hit its peak and became very dry and slow.

I’m not to sure what I thought about the movie; more so, I’m not sure how to convey what I feel about the movie. I guess the first thing I’ll bring is up that I don’t agree with it’s genre listing. I don’t think it’s a comedy. There were funny bits here and there, but it wasn’t a comedy – at least not the typical type of comedy. There were tidbits of dark comedy, but that’s about it.

I can’t say that this movie had a great script, but there were a few parts of the dialogue that stood out: I really liked the conversation about Ghandi’s saying: “an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind”. It was just funny and original. I really liked Hans and the little things he’d say like “It’s their blood. It’s his puke”. The very last conversation between Marty and Zachariah was pretty good too.

The actors were a big reason as to why I wanted to see this movie. Again, I have the CWB, so I’ll keep it short and say that Walken was so believable as Hans. Sam Rockwell did a great job too, and I liked the mysterious vibe that surrounded him. I liked Colin Farrell a lot more than I thought I would. The roles I’ve seen him in are usually the-manly-man, but with this movie, his character was somewhat helpless, and I loved it. he did a great job with the role. Last person I want to mention is Woody Harrelson. The role of Charlie was probably created with him in mind (Actually it wasn’t. It was supposed to go to Mickey Rourke). But wow, even with my CWB, I cannot deny that Woody Harrelson stole the show.

Yes, I realize that I have given this movie an overall positive review, but when it comes to numbers, 2.4 is the highest I can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment