November 14, 2012

The Adventures of Tintin

2011 – 4/5

I was in the mood to see a movie that didn’t have a complicated plot. Something simple and light, but something that would be good. I settled for The Adventures of Tintin. I did watch the cartoon as a child; can’t say it was my favourite, but it was entertaining. Now that I’ve seen the movie, I can say that yes, this was a simple, good movie. I really enjoyed it.

Aside from the cute animated intro, the first thing I want to mention is that before the first minute of the movie was up, I was already in love with the motion capture/CGI animation; it was stellar. When it comes to animated flicks, Disney Pixar is usually way ahead of the game – but, boy did Columbia and Paramount step it up. At times it felt as if I was seeing real people on screen and not something that was created by a computer. That blew me away.

It had a great plot in which Tintin goes on an adventure to find treasure. It wasn’t complicated so if you tuned out, you are able to figure out what’s going on in a matter of second – not that you’d want to tune out because it was a great movie. I liked how the movie moved forward. The plot had a good way of going forward with each situation moving into the next so smoothly. There were some transitions between scenes that were nothing short of amazing and very well done.

I have been a fan of Jamie Bell since I saw him in Billy Elliot and I had no idea he was doing the voice of Tintin, but I loved it. I think his voice suited the character. I also really liked the Capitan Haddick too. I thought he added a lot of comedy into the movie that was relevant to what was happening; it wasn’t comedy thrown in for the sake of it, it tied into the plot. I also liked Simon Pegg’s voice over as one of the Thompson twins; those characters were funny too. I thought Daniel Craig’s voice suited Sakharine/Red Rackham, but it wasn’t one that stood out among the other characters.

This has to be one of my favourite Steven Spielberg films. I typically do not like watching any movie in 3D, but this is a movie I regret not seeing in theatres, in 3D. Considering the end of of this movie suggested that there will be a sequel, I will for sure see it in 3D in theatres. Although I have access to see this movie at any time on Netflix, I plan on buying this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment