November 17, 2012

The Sitter

2011 – 1/5

Before I wrote this review, I went onto IMDB and read some reviews to get an idea of what other people thought of this movie. When I read reviews on IMDB I have a tendency to sort them by the “Love/Hate” option. I like to read the reviews of people who gave this movie a really good rating then read the reviews of people who gave it a really bad rating.

So why am I mentioning this in MY review? Well, its mainly because I wanted to point out that I agreed with more of the negative ratings. Yes, I know this movie wasn’t meant to be nominated for an Oscar, but when you break it down to the basics, there really isn’t much in terms of entertainment value either.

Overall, it seemed like a movie that was put together by Jonah Hill having a few ideas in his head and wanting to put them into a movie (for example, an adopted kid that likes to blow things up, a car chase in a mini van, and him gaining ‘street cred’ with some black folks). It just seems as if he gave a list of things he wanted in the film to the director and expected a story out of it. Basically this movie was a bunch of situations and characters thrown in with a story created around that.

On a good note, I did like Jonah Hill. I think he has great comedic timing and his dialogue wasn’t that bad. Also, a thumbs up for Sam Rockwell. The movie also had good music, but most of the scenes it was added in didn’t really need to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment