October 25, 2010

Never Back Down

2008 - 3/5

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Plot: C
To be honest, this plot isn't new to the movie world; it's been done many times over and there has been better and there has been worse.

Script: C
There are so many parts during this movie were I wanted to put it on mute because it was so predictable; however, with that being said, the motivational speeches about responsibility, consequences and making the right choice is why I didn't give the plot a C-.

Acting: B-
The acting wasn't as bad as it could have been, Ferris and Gigandet are actually decent actors, not to mention both are hot! Although the mom or younger brother didn't have a huge roll in this movie, I really liked them; they both played their parts really well and made it seem as if they were a family unit. The trainer (Djimon Hounsou) was pretty believable in his part too, but I didn't really like Heard, she was okay in some parts, but a drag to watch at other times.

Overall: C+
At first, this movie seemed like it'll be an updated version of the Karate Kid; and like many other people, this movie reminded me of Fight Club; but for buffed-up pretty boys. It also reminded me of Airborne (1993), but the hockey and rollerblading were switched with mixed martial arts.

The soundtrack was okay, they added music in the right spots but better songs could have been picked.

The fights seemed pretty real, rather than rehearsed. There weren't quick camera movements or cuts that tend to disguise planned fights; I was able to see pretty much every hit, so it seemed authentic and I found myself actually getting into it. I also liked the x-ray 'vision' of the damage for some of the hits later in the movie.

One thing I actually didn't notice myself, but read in another review was that the director didn't add too many T&A's. That may have been why I liked this movie more than I thought I would because with expensive cars and huge houses, I've been accustom to seeing chicks in skimpy attire. I guess the director opted out of this (or possibly forgot to add in) just so more focus would be paid to the actual fights.

I found it annoying that at every moment a cell phone was pulled out to record the fight; I do understand why there were so many cell phones because it was the main method of 'communication' and the whole point of this movie was that people could see each fight regardless of where they are.

Lastly, this was pretty entertaining to watch and Ferris and Gigandet without shirts is a definite thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment