January 28, 2012

The Lincoln Lawyer

2011 – 2.4/5

The movie started off a bit slow so it didn’t have 100% of my attention. There were a few things I felt was unnecessary and didn’t add anything to the main plot. It is obvious that there was going to be some sort of twist and I had my theories about what they were going to be. The twists kept coming and they weren’t the type that seemed thrown in just for the sake of it. The twists added to the plot and moved it forward. It starts to pick up its pace about 40 minutes in and from then on, it had my full attention.

I don’t mind Matthew McConaughey and I was curious to see how he would do in a movie in which he would be portraying a lawyer; it’s been a while since A Time To Kill and most of his movies since have been chick-flicks. Ryan Phillippe has always been a solid actor and his looks haven’t changed at all in the last 15 years. Josh Lucas had a small role, but he did just fine with the role. I have never really liked William H. Macy (especially with his long hair), but he wasn’t a main character and I’m okay with him in small doses.

I do want to say that while I’m watching a movie I have an idea about what I’m going to give it out of 5, but for some reason, even after having written this review, I’m having a hard time picking an exact number. It was an entertaining movie, it was well acted, but there really wasn’t anything new or different.

***SPOILER ALERT***
I mentioned before that I had a few ideas regarding what the plot twist was going to be. I knew that Roulet was guilty, but I couldn’t figure out why, and I never expected the twist to connect with one of Mick’s previous cases. It was defiantly a smart move on Roulet’s behalf to hire Mick as his defense attorney because lawyer-client privilege prevents Mick from speaking up.

Mick keeps getting pushed into a corner and the walls are closing in on him. As an audience we know what’s going on, but I kept watching because I wanted to know how Mick was going to get himself out of this as well as how he was going to try to make things right by getting one of his previous clients out of prison knowing full well that his current client, Roulet was the person who actually committed the crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment