January 9, 2012

Warrior

2011 – 4.8/5

My first impression of this movie was that it was a MMA version of The Wrestler (2008). In a sense, it was pretty similar to that one. Other than what I had just said, I really didn’t know anything about this movie.

The plot was pretty simple: two brothers Tonny (Tom Hardy) and Brendan (Joel Edgerton) enter a Mixed Martial Arts competition, which has a $5 million grand prize. Each of them has their own reasons for needing the money. Right from the get-go you can tell that there are some family issues between the brothers and the brothers and their father Paddy (Nick Nolte). Paddy was an alcoholic, Brendan is a high school physics teacher and we don’t really get to know much about Tommy. Other than Nolte, I didn’t know any of the other actors and wow were they good!

I don’t care for MMA at all, but the storyline was one I couldn’t stray away from. I didn’t want to miss a minute of this movie because there was never a dull moment. This movie was just over 2 hours and it sure didn’t seem like it. At the 100-minute mark I knew this was my favourite movie of 2011. I really enjoyed this movie and the split screen was very well done! I think that if I were to watch this movie again today, I’d like it just as much. The plot was wonderful, the script was good, the acting was amazing, and overall, the entire movie was spectacular! Maybe I need to start watching UFC and MMA! (haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment