January 12, 2012

Moneyball

2011 – 2.8/5

I’m going to be honest here I really don’t know what to say about this movie. I’m not a fan of baseball whatsoever, but the storyline intrigued me. I do think it was about a half hour longer than it should have been.

Brad Pitt as Billy Beane was great. He always gets into his roles and I see the character he’s supposed to be rather than him acting. I liked the character of Billy and how he was going about creating his team through different means.

Jonah Hill as Pete can play a serious role, which I was a little skeptical about. He plays the part of a stats nerd pretty well and even though he doesn’t have too many lines in this movie, his presence defiantly has an impact.

The chemistry between Billy and Pete was perfect. I liked how they spoke to one another and pretty much anything about their interactions. The most entertaining parts of this movie were the ones in which Billy and Pete were on screen together.

There was some witty dialogue throughout the movie, and if it weren’t for that, I would say that this movie dragged at times. I wasn’t much of a fan of any scene with Billy’s daughter or ex-wife; couldn’t figure out how and if that moved the plot forward in any way. I also didn’t think Billy’s past history as a potential baseball player was incorporated that well – it kind of seemed choppy. There wasn’t much of a musical score in this movie either, which would have been good because there were a lot of awkward silences.

Overall it wasn’t as gripping as other ‘true story’ sports stories and like many other reviewers on IMDB, I also felt as if there wasn’t an emotional component. This movie rounds up my ‘based-on-a-true-story’ hat trick. FYI, that wasn’t planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment