February 18, 2012

The Godfather

1972 - 0/5

My opinion of this movie in one word: overrated. Okay, I know people will hate me for this but I did not enjoy this movie. I had a feeling I wouldn’t like it, and lo and behold I didn’t. I was very disappointed.

I went in with high hopes, and it was a let down for sure. I typically don’t go into a movie with any expectations, but considering how much praise this movie gets, I think my expectations were fitting. Clearly this movie was made in the 1970s, so I had to take that into account with regards to the cinematography, editing and effects. But when it comes to plot, script, and acting, no excuses can be made. It dragged the entire time, there wasn’t much impact with the script and the storyline was stale. The acting was okay, but overdone at times. I really didn’t feel anything for any of the characters or whatever happened to them. So what if so-and-so died – I didn’t even know who he was anyways!

I was looking forward to watching all 3 Godfather movies, but after struggling to finish this one, I think I’ve seen enough.


A comment my friend made:
One good thing did come out of the movie though. When Marlon Brando won the Oscar for Best Actor, he chose not to accept the award, instead, made a political statement about the injustice faced by Native Americans and raised awareness of the Wounded Knee incident. An incident that the American media hardly covered at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment