February 7, 2012

One For the Money

2012 – 0.4/5

First things first, I didn’t know this movie was an adaptation of a book. I saw this movie in theatres on the discount ticket day, and it wasn’t even worth the $6.99 I paid, let alone full price. The moment I knew this movie wasn’t going to be as good as I was hoping… mind you, I didn’t exactly have high expectations, but there was potential… was during the beginning credits before the movie even started: that Katherine Heigl was an executive producer. Obviously no one else had faith in this movie, ergo, she had to put the money in it herself.

A lot of reviewers on IMDB stated that Heigl’s Jersey accent was horrid. I didn’t even notice that because I couldn’t get past her brunette hair. I didn’t really like Heigl as Stephanie; I think another, perhaps ‘rougher’ actress could have pulled it off better. For the most part, I didn’t like most of the cast – they were a bunch of nobodies. There wasn’t any character development so I didn’t feel much of a connection to any of them. The only character I actually liked was Lula. Her parts were actually funny, but it wasn’t needed.

The script was pretty bad. And I don’t just mean that it was ‘meh’, I mean it was bad. It was just plain stupid. I was hoping to get some laughs, but that never happened. I’ve gotten more laughs in the first 10 minutes of Will & Grace episode (Season 3, Episode 14 – My Uncle the Car) I’m currently watching while writing this review, than I did in this entire movie.

I haven’t read the book, but I’m sure that the plot wasn’t as hollow as the movie; it just crumbled as the movie went on. Regardless that Vinny was Stephanie’s cousin, I really don’t think it would be that easy to get a job as a Bounty Hunter. And it’s hard to believe that Stephanie becomes best friends with Ranger after one phone call.

I thought it was boring and I’m not sure what genre this was because it surely isn’t a comedy. According to several reviews I read on IMDB, a lot of people walked out, some were disappointed with the cast and others questioned whether or not the makers of this film had even read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment