February 11, 2012

The Guardian

2006 – 3.8/5

I just realized this is the third movie I’ve seen that’s based around water (Blue Crush and Pirates of the Caribbean 4).

The first 20 minutes were very intense and it seemed like it would be what you would see in the last 20 minutes of a movie. And just for the record, the last 20 minutes were pretty intense too! This would be the second time I’ve seen this movie and I still had a lump in my throat during the tense parts. It was a long movie, but it sure didn’t feel like it. As far as I’m concerned, everything you see, belonged.

Ben Randall (Costner) and Jake Fischer (Kutcher) were the main characters of this movie, and enough time was spent to develop each character. Aside from Randall and Fischer you still get a good sense of the other characters. Up until I saw this movie, I had never thought that Ashton Kutcher was hot. Ashton Kutcher with short hair = hot! I’ve always seen AK in comedic roles, so I wasn’t too sure how he would do in a serious role (I saw The Butterfly Effect after I saw this movie). As for Kevin Costner, he is not an actor to me. He is Ben Randall, a United States Coast Guard. That’s how convincing he was as Senior Chief Ben Randall.

The movie had a good amount of action in it, but it was mainly character and story driven. The plot wasn’t necessarily original or unique, but I think it’s worth your dime and your time. A solid movie for sure.

My favourite line:
Ben Randall: If I feel you will fail them, I will fail you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment